Addiction Rehabilitation Program
Preceded by an experience of over two decades, the Republic of Cuba has gained global recognition due to its development of a comprehensive Addiction Rehabilitation Program and support system designed to help people in their fight against substance addiction and people with addictions.
The program is made of, well structured, three months of treatment and rehabilitation with special emphasis on modern cognitive behavioural approach and therapeutic communities’ regime. The visitors receive professionals help in developing social control mechanisms needed to break away from alcohol, hard drug and drug addiction, and to realize the benefit of detoxification and rehabilitation. The treatment centres are operated by specialized management teams and multidisciplinary staff.
A minimum of three months is mandatory, in addition to a subsequent period of follow up intended for the re-evaluation and verification of the therapy applied.
1- patients must be admitted under their own free will;
2- A patient must be free of AIDS or a chronic liver disease; and
3- It is strongly recommended that the patient is accompanied by a relative or close friend, who will stay with him/ her during the evaluation period and the first week of treatment. The objective is to actively participate in the evaluation stage and at the beginning of therapy.
The program has the following phases:
A. First week of evaluation:
* Determining if the patient should stay in the program
* Definition of the custom-made therapeutic design for each patient
* 7 days of accommodation and food (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
* Specialized examinations, which includes the following:
* Electrocardiogram; and
* Blood tests
B. Treatment Program:
* A personalized program according to clinical, psychological and physical characteristics, also taking into account the social environment of origin, specific family situation, among others
* Three months’ accommodation for the patient, which will include accommodation, nursing care and medical assistance, as well as three meal course and use of recreational and therapeutic areas);
* Rehabilitation treatment;
* Performed activities, which generally include:
– Group Psychotherapy
– Individual Psychotherapy
– Music Therapy
– Occupational Therapy
– Acupuncture sessions and Relaxation
– Physical Rehabilitation (Physical Culture)
– Psychotherapeutic Activities outside the unit
– Contracted Recreational activities
– Medication for the control of addiction disorders; and
– Issuing of Medical Summaries and Recommendations
The therapeutic community model applied utilizes coexistence which allows patients to share their feelings, frustrations, efforts and dreams. The program ensures privacy in a secure and relaxed environment resulting in an enjoyable stay and contributes to the rapid and full recovery of the individual. The Therapeutic Community encompass all the conditions of accommodation, medical care and entertainment for the patient to ensure an atmosphere of familiarity, understanding and help.
1- Companion’s stay cost during the first 15 days (evaluation and first week of treatment) is included in the program;
2- Domestic airfare and transportation to and from the treatment facility are included in the program; and
3- Once the patient is released, if he or she suffers from recurrence, the patient should start the program from the beginning