DOCTOR IN MEDICINE
SUMMARY OF THE DOCTOR IN MEDICINE PROGRAM
The Havana School of Medicine, founded in January 1728, is one of the four founding schools of The Royal and Pontifical University of Saint Jerome of Havana. Since its commencement until present the Havana school of Medicine remains the only Medicine school based in Havana.
By 1962, in response to an increase national healthcare needs and in the interest of medical aid support to colonized countries, the Havana School of medicine initiated the expansion of distinguished medical education centers throughout Cuba.
Established in 1999 as an initiative of the Commander in Chief Fidel Castro as a response to the devastation by hurricane Mitch (1998) and as part of Cuba’s humanitarian and development aid response, ELAM has developed into a major international medical school with students attending from 110 countries, mainly from Latin America and the Caribbean. ELAM is an integral part of the Cuban Healthcare system and is fully accredited by the World Health Organization (WHO), the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and by the Medical Board of California, giving US graduate the eligibility to apply for residency placements in any of the states.
With Cuba being the only country that has its healthcare system closely linked to research and development, the Cuban healthcare system has progressed to be world renown with the World Health Organization praising it for its efficiency and outstanding achievements. Based on preventive medicine, the Cuban healthcare system offers free of charge qualified and comprehensive medical attention to the Cuban population at large.
DEGREE IN MEDICINE STUDY PROGRAM:
The Study Plan for the Degree in Medicine is in that it offers flexibility by taking into consideration the student’s country of origin, entry level and health condition in the student’s respective country.
Name: Degree in Medicine
Accreditation: Doctor in Medicine
Number of curricular units: 66
The program is six years in length whereby the first five years are organized into ten semesters for academic learning and one year for rotatory internship (compulsory work in hospital).
Requirements for Application: completed pre-university level
- Students graduating from this program would be qualified as General Practitioner (medical doctor) who will be trained in treating all types of illnesses including acute and chronic illnesses as well as offering preventive care alongside health education to patients. The graduate will be qualified to offer comprehensive medical attention to patients of any age and sex on all levels treatment with emphasis on physical, psychological, social and environmental health.
- Special attention will be given to four areas:
- Comprehensive Medical Attention;
- Administration; and
- As part of the curriculum the student will be given 220 health problems to be identified and solved as well as 224 skills to develop in order to promote active, independent methods of learning and it increases level of. The study program is a balance between theory, practice, group activities and placement in the healthcare system (education at work).
- Independent study in the first two year would be a total of 4 hours per day and will increase considerably in the third and following years.
- In the third year of study the student must complete a 6 – 8 hours of placement work per week (including Saturdays and Sundays) in emergency wards, intermediate and intensive care units.
- The Study Plan establishes the carrying out of extracurricular activities, such as:
- Scientific Student Activity;
- Trophy Exams (award tests);
- Assistance of new students;
- Special Attention programs to students with exceptional academic performance; and
- cultural, sports and recreational activities.
To graduate, the student must pass a National External State Exam which consists of practical and theoretical exam. To attend the State Exam, the student must have completed and passed, by means of practical and theory exams, the 5 rotatory internship.
The program courses comprise 66 curricular units, which include required and elective courses with a total of 10840 hours of which 2784 dedicated to the internship.
The curriculum is based on active learning, lectures and theoretical activities such as:
- Laboratory lessons;
- Workshops; and
- Practical-theoretical lessons
High degree of emphasis will be given to the development of firsthand and direct on-site experience (this is referred to as education at work).
Course curriculum for Degree in Medicine
* Contents about cells, prenatal development, and basic tissues.
** Contents about tegumentary and osteomioarticular systems,
*** Contents about the nervous system
**** Contents about endocrine regulation
Note: The subject “Medical Informatics” can be implemented in the first or second semester of the first year.
*Contents about blood, hemolymphopoyetic system, and cardiovascular system
** Contents about the respiratory, renal and digestive systems
Note: The subject Research and Statistics Methodology can be implemented in the first or the second semester of this academic year.
Spanish speaking Student:
The program’s duration is 6 years.
Total cost of the program is 89,000.00 CUC and is divided as follows:
- CUC stands for Cuban Convertible Peso
- All non-Spanish speaking students are required to enroll in a 1-year pre-med program intended to deepen students’ knowledge of the Spanish language related to Biomedical Sciences and also to train the students in the development of the teaching process including the evaluation
- Upon submitting your application, it will be recorded in a database and is only valid for the academic year in which it was requested. Otherwise, if you do not come in that period, you must make a new formal request.
- The above prices include the following:
- Program enrollment
- Right of attendance to all practical and theoretical teaching activities
- Right to all the exams including the final state examination Marks certification
- Title duly legalized by the University of Medical Sciences where the student has attended
- studies at the end of the program
- Use of library services during the studies
- Access to sport and cultural areas of the University of Medical Sciences
- Participation in its various manifestations and scientific advisory for research works
- The above prices do not include the following:
- Teaching materials
- National or international transportation
- Telephone services and/or internet services
- Immigration procedures in Cuba
- Change of migratory status
- Identity document
- Translations and legalizations at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or embassies
- Health insurance or medical care
- Paperwork and transfer of the deceased in case of death.
- Prior and upon the student’s arrival to the Republic of Cuba, CubaHeal Inc. will be responsible for coordinating and concluding the following logistical issues:
- Prior to the student’s arrival:
- Ensure adequate accommodation in or near the school Keep constant line of communication with the university’s administration to confirm seat reservation
- Arranging for airport pickup
- Arranging accommodation and meals for the first month. The total cost for such arrangement is 500.00 CUC
- Prior to the student’s arrival:
- Upon Student’s arrival:
- Airport pickup
- An orientation session to familiarize the student with:
- CubaHeal team;
- local transportation;
- Other aspects relating to and city’s facilities as well as relevant immigration and legal laws that must be adhered to in the Republic of Cuba
- Establishment of bank
- Stand as a permanent point of reference for the student should a need arises
- Stand as a permanent point of reference to the student’s relatives overseas should the need arises
For students interested in the above program, kindly note the following:
- Click on and fill out STUDENT APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION INTO A MEDICAL PROGRAM form;
- CubaHeal requests an initial deposit of CA $ 135.00 for the submission of all university admittance forms. To that end, please be aware of the following:
- Should the Cuban Academic Services Authorities (CASA) approve a student, the initial deposit will be deducted from the total cost of the 1st year of the program.
- Should the Cuban Academic Services Authorities (CASA) refuse the enrollment of a student, CubaHeal will refund the full amount less any applicable transfer fees.
- Should the student reject the educational program proposed by the Cuban Academic Services Authorities (CASA), CubaHeal reserves the right to retain the deposit and treat it as a consultation fee.