Gynaecology, also known as gynaecology, is the branch of medical science that deals with the female reproductive system. As such it is responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes, ovaries, vagina, vulva and breasts. A gynaecologist is specialized and trained in treating a full spectrum of conditions ranging from infertility, contraception, sexual functions, to hormone disorders, infections, menstrual problems and menopause. A large number of gynaecologist are also obstetricians (OB/GYN) in that they give care to pregnant women and growing fetuses, as well as women who want to terminate their pregnancies.
Gynaecology is divided into three subspecialty areas:
- Maternal – Fetal medicine: A specialist that cares for women who have difficult pregnancies due to complications in the reproductive system.
- Gynecologic oncology: A specialist that provides care for women with cancers of the female reproductive system. (For gynecologic cancers please refer to our Oncology Section
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility: A specialist that takes care of hormonal problems and infertility problems.
As with all medical and surgical treatment programs, Cuba offers comprehensive treatment programs headed by specialized and highly trained gynecologic teams to meet the health care needs of women experiencing complex and/or sensitive conditions. Depending on the nature of the condition, the Cuban gynaecologist team may choose to treat the disorder medically or surgically and, for some conditions, may opt to use minimally invasive surgery decreasing the length of hospital stay and length of recovery.
It is essential that for women over the age of 18 to have a yearly gynaecological examination in order to identify and detect potential health problems, mainly certain cancers, especially breast and cervical cancers. This is important even though some women may not be aware of any underlying gynaecological problems that they may have so as to eliminate the risk of having undiagnosed conditions that may have an impact on the reproductive and sexual health of the individual.
The gynaecological examination offered in Cuba include:
- Consultation with a Gynaecology Specialist: This consists of collecting Information about the patient’s overall health, menstrual history, previous smear tests, sexually active, pregnancy history and choice of contraception. The patient is encouraged to discuss any gnomological concerns they may have.
- Clinical Laboratory Tests and blood tests
- Microbiological and Gynaecological Investigations: Pap smear. Colposcopy. Simple vaginal discharge study.
- Imaging investigations: Gynecological ultrasound, breast ultrasound and mammography.