On December 3rd, 1982, and during the Latin American Medicine Day, Hospital Hermanos Ameijeiras (Hospital Clinico Quirurgico “Hermanos Ameijeira”), was inaugurated by Fidel Castro Ruz. And thus was born a hospital institution as a symbol of the political will to provide specialized medical care at the level of the best centers of its kind in the world.
Providing medical attention of excellence and facing the introduction and assimilation of advanced technology has been the main objective of the Institution, in the care of patients with major diagnostic and therapeutic complexities.
Some of the specialties recognized worldwide are:
- Organs and tissue transplantation
- Interventional endoscopy
- Extracorporeal lithotripsy
- Hyperbaric oxygenation
- Advanced techniques in histological and cytological diagnosis
- Surgical techniques in highly complex diseases and minimally invasive surgery
In addition to its medical services, the centre has been offering advanced medical academic and training programs for national and foreign professionals and health technicians. That is in addition to its role as an advanced research and development hub for:
- Organ and tissue transplantation
- Malignant diseases
- Minimally invasive surgery
- The integration of basic and clinical sciences and informatics