PERSONALIZED MEDICAL PROGRAM FOR EVALUATION AND TREATMENT OF AUTISM SPECTRUM
The AUTISM SPECTRUM treatment program is offered in an environment which combines a peaceful and comfortable nature setting alongside specialized medical and rehabilitation attention intended to improve patients’ quality of life as well as physical and mental capacity.
The noble objective of the program is to reduce the child’s symptoms and improve his/ her learning and development. The treatment your child would receive will be tailored according to the patient’s individual needs.
The medical facilities offer the following services and amenities:
- Hotel setting rooms equipped with cable TV, hot-cold water, telephone; dry cleaning services service, and minibars
- Pool and snack bar;
- Internet café;
- Pharmacy; and
- Dry-cleaning service.
1ST STAGE – CONSULTATION, LABORATORY INVESTIGATIONS AND CLINIC ANALYSIS, AND EVALUATIONS (7 days):
- Consultations with pediatrics specialist;
- Consultations with neurology specialist;
- Consultation with psychologist;
- Consultation with speech therapist/ specialist (logopedics and phoniatrics);
- Consultation with psychiatrist;
- Follow-up consultations of neurology specialist and physiatrist.
Laboratory Investigations and Clinic Analysis:
- Serology test;
- Complete Hemogram test;
- Eritrosedimentation test;
- Glycemia test;
- Creatinine test;
- Transaminase Glutamic Pyruvic (GPT) test;
- Serology test;
- Urinogram test;
This phase includes the following:
a) The evaluation phase:
Which will include the following tests:
- Logopedic evaluation;
- Neuropsychological evaluation;
- Brunet-Lézine Scale evaluation;
- Psychotherapeutic treatment evaluation
- Possible Neurophysiologic Investigations, which will include:
- Auditory Evoked Potential (encephalic cortex) investigation;
- Somatic Sense Evoked Potential investigation;
- Electroencephalogram investigation;
- Imagenologic Investigations:
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (brain) investigation
Note: the evaluation phase’s length of time will be determined based on the patient´s characteristics and ability to adapt
b) Family meeting with all relevant specialists and doctors:
The objective of this meeting is the following:
- To introduce all relevant specialists and doctors to the family of the patient;
- Presentation of therapy and activities to be developed
2ND STAGE – REHABILITATING and TREATMENT (30 days):
As part of the occupational therapy, the specialists count with:
- equine therapy
- censorial stimulation room
- occupational therapy
- language therapy
- ozone therapy (under medical assessment)
- Trans-cranial electric stimulation (good results in hyperkinetic patients).
1. Speech therapy (20 days):
This part of the treatment program is a collective approach which includes parents as partners in the treatment process.
Below, please find the details of the language rehabilitation program:
- The language rehabilitation program is carried out daily (excluding Sundays and national holidays). For well assimilated patients, the sessions will have a starting duration of one hour and will be extend to one session in the morning and another in the afternoon.
- Initially, the patient will undergo 20 consecutive sessions of therapy (20 days).
- The performing protocol will depend on the patient´s characteristics and readiness; the attending team will carry out and evaluation of the patient’s language capability in order to determine whether the language limitation is due to a slow-down in his/ her ability or if there are other existing underlying conditions related to physical impairments.
- During the 20 days program, the attending specialists will carry a reassessment of the patient in order to evaluate the patient’s development and to assess if there is a need to alter/ adjust any method within the treatment or to continue with the existing program.
- The therapy on its own is rather broad and intensive. The specialists will work on each symptomatology of the language by utilizing facial massaging and other censorial stimulation methods
- Specialists are divided into separate groups according to the foreign language of the patient. During the various sessions, and especially for young children, the specialized teams will depend on the assistance and support of the patient´s family or companion(s) in order to carry better communication.
- To avoid any future setback in the therapy received, it is important to bear in mind the above stimulation program must be continued once the patient returns home. This is to build on the positive response achieved during the 20 days therapy.
2. Occupational Therapy (30 days):
This part of the treatment is intended to help the patient overcome, or minimize the effects, of physical, mental or neurological barriers which interfere with the patient’s ability to carry tasks such as self-care, productivity and participating in leisure activities.
Below, please find the details of the occupational therapy program:
- This therapy must be carried out in a lapse of 30 days minimum, taking into account the patient´s characteristics and readiness. The specialists will work daily in two sessions, morning time and afternoon time.
- The physiotherapy and rehabilitation area count on censorial stimulation rooms where various activity take place, such as:
- Images projection;
- Object identification;
- Interactive games;
- Didactic games to improve the patient’s capability (these activities are carried out together with the doctor and the psychologist).
- As part of the occupational therapy, the patient will be engaged daily living activities and scenarios
3. Outdoor activities including Equine Therapy (included in the Occupational Therapy program)
- In this stage, the specialists will focus their work force in a comprehensive way, stimulating the patient motor skills and censorial activity.
- The patient will be attended by two therapists. The activity will be developed in an outdoor area, where the child will be able to participate in engaging and stimulating games, touch horses, be stimulated with colors, he/she will be asked about and engaged with the vegetation and his/ her surroundings.
- The length of the daily therapy will be increasing depending on the patient´s characteristics and readiness, taking notice of the patient’s preference relevant to other outdoor activities such as soccer, horseback riding, pool swimming etc…
4. Final Report and Recommendations.
The first Stage could be extended depending on the Neuro-pediatric evaluation, taking into consideration any history of epilepsy.